Website Koko Networks
Technology for life in the world's fastest growing cities
About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed technology company currently operating in Kenya and India. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that transforms life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We build and deploy cloud-connected “KOKO Points” inside local retail outlets, which provide mass market consumer goods in partnership with major suppliers. Our first solution is liquid ethanol cooking fuel, which offers significant cost savings and quality of life improvements in the multi-billion dollar urban cooking market. In Kenya, this solution is delivered in partnership with Vivo Energy, the operator of Shell-branded fuel infrastructure across Africa. KOKO offers a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. We are looking for people who share our passion for technology and our vision for global impact.
As we expand within and outside Kenya, we are looking for experienced Site Reliability Engineers to ensure our systems have high availability and are fault tolerant allowing KOKO to deliver stellar performance to its customers. You will guide and define ways of working for other teams, collaborating with managers, engineers, and our product teams. In this position and within the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to add value across KOKO’s entire product suite by enabling other teams to do their work more effectively.
We are looking for a highly technical and autonomous leader with significant experience in scaling and maintaining complex, mission critical secure cloud designs and DevOps toolchains, and making key architectural decisions along the way. You should be comfortable collaborating and leading projects in a remote environment, building rapport across the team, doing what’s necessary to ensure KOKO’s products always deliver.
What you will do
- Lead small teams and projects to build tools and software to manage cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Own production environments and develop a holistic view of system health for the benefit of your own and other teams, troubleshooting any part of supported services when needed.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to manage deployment and monitoring of all KOKO’s distributed software applications, ensuring systems are available at all times.
- Improve reliability, quality, and time-to-market of our software solutions.
- Measure and optimize system performance, with the aim of pushing our capabilities forwards, staying ahead of customer needs, and innovating to continually improve.
- Design and apply best practices in the areas of secure cloud design patterns, automated security, CI/CD across KOKO’s teams and projects, helping others to deliver their solutions more effectively.
- Collect and analyse metrics to make recommendations for performance improvements and fault findings.
- Participate in system design reviews, infrastructure management and capacity planning.
- Establish and implement administrative and operational best practices for the engineering team
- Detect abnormalities in performance and proactively address alerts and deviation to reduce risk to platform before it impacts customer
- You will be part of an on-call rotation consisting of SREs and Engineers but you are not required to solve every infrastructure problem. Our entire engineering team practices Dev-Ops culture and owns their respective services.
- Monitor and measure customer experience and KPIs
- Participate in building the engineering culture at KOKO.
KOKO’s technology stack currently includes (but is not limited to) AWS, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, CircleCI, Ansible, Python, Flask, Vue.js, Postgres, Kotlin, Java, Firebase, C++, Celery, Message Queues, Odoo ERP, Git
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- Five or more years of experience working with SRE and/or DevOps and/or cloud teams.
- Python and shell scripting experience.
- Strong track record designing and delivering automated toolchains and secure cloud patterns.
- Experience with Infrastructure as code and APM tools.
- Experience in the following areas: enterprise application and service based architectures, software design methods, CI/CD, cyber security, process automation, QA and test automation, and highly scalable data architectures.
- Understanding of Linux operating system, networking, and databases
- Strong understanding of principles and practices to be applied to excel at this role.
- Well developed skills in designing and building for performance, reliability, security and maintainability.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal, who is calm and decisive under pressure.
- Empathy for your colleagues, encouraging team members to think creatively while knowing where to intervene to tackle tough problems and navigate conflicts.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary plus a quarterly cash bonus
- Annual compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Discounted health insurance with no-cost financing for you and your dependents (in Kenya)
- 21 days of annual leave plus public holidays plus examination leave
- Ongoing investment in you and your skills, incl. full access to over 5,000 online courses
- The right equipment for the job – a choice of MacBook, Windows, or Linux laptop
We believe that our people are critical for our ambitious growth plans in Kenya and beyond. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow professionally, and enjoy having high impact through their work.
If you share our passion for technology and our vision for global impact, we strongly encourage you to apply!
KOKO is committed to gender and racial diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply!